Friday

Life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. ~Clifford Odets

Pinching pennies. Wise investments. Budget weddings.

Aside from meeting with brides planning for their Spring weddings, I have been obsessed with finding bargains in the wedding world.

My lovely sister is getting married in November. I am so excited! This is a second wedding for Lisa and for Greg. In this union, I get two adorable step-nephews. They are fabulously funny pre-teen boys!

Lisa and Greg are both financially savvy and they hope to keep the total budget of their wedding under, well, I guess I'd better get their blog blessing before I share their budget.

While we enjoy working with brides who appreciate their budget, this is a new challenge. The budget is small....and this is my sister who has immaculate taste. (I did chose the word immaculate because that truly describes her life and taste!) Again, this is my sister.

While I have many budget friendly ideas, I thought I'd embark on seeing what others are saying about budget wedding planning. (By the way, I hate the word budget. Does anyone have any other suggestions?!?)
In my searching, I found the typical suggestions.....
  • Chose a non-Saturday wedding date
  • Rent a town car instead of a limousine
  • Have non-floral centerpieces
  • Limit guest list
  • Have a small wedding cake and use a sheet cake for additional cake
  • Enlist family and friends talents

Well, those suggestions are neither earth shattering nor unique. In my query for unique and beautiful suggestions, I found very little. Instead I found......

this candy buffet. While the candy looks delicious, what's with the fake burgundy flower petals and the atrocious wallpaper. It definitely isn't the immaculate look of my sister.

I also found this book for sale. While it was discounted on-line, I am doubting it's wisdom.



So, instead, I am embarking on my own journey. I'll be helping my sister analyze pricing and shop around. I hope to answer questions such as are DIY invitations much of a cost-savings, or are there affordable invitations which are made on nice paper that look expensive but are easy on the budget? We'll be on the search for a great dress (lucky Lisa has a knockout figure) at a great price.

I plan on documenting all of my great finds so stay tuned!

PS- For those readers that are interested in seeing another wedding portfolio from
Style & Grace, we've got several in the works including a great wedding at a vineyard. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Christine Farah Photography said...

I know this is definitely a lot of girls face and planning a wedding in California in general requires and arm and a leg. Someone told me that Costco did invites who knew they did invites right? There is this place I found when I was looking for ribbon next to the Fabric Barn in Long Beach that sells reallllllllllly pretty looking wedding gowns for I think $350 and some I would say qualify for someone with immaculate taste. Hope this helps a little!